I try to fit a salad in for dinner about once a week. It's healthy, it's budget friendly, and usually pretty easy to throw together.
But if it's nothing but a bed of lettuce with a few pieces of chicken thrown on? Ugh. It leaves you a) feeling like a foraging creature of the woodland, and b) still hungry.
Enter ALL THE TOPPINGS! They fill you up, they add so much variety in flavor and texture, and they make the salad so much more enjoyable. And since fajitas are one of our favorite dinners, this salad is pretty likely to make the rotation frequently.
You can get pretty crazy with the toppings here. I made some avocado rose because they're so pretty, and crisped up some tortilla strips. But you could totally channel the Chicken Bacon Fajitas and throw on a good crumble of bacon. Or add some lime rice over the top if you're a grain on the salad sort (I totally am. Micah's totally not). Whatever you love and makes your fajita dreams come true can happen on this salad.
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tsp. red chilli flakes (add less if you aren't into spicy foods)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
Combine all ingredients except chicken and put half of the mixture in a large zipper bag. Add chicken to bag and allow to marinade at least two hours or overnight. Grill and allow to cool some before adding to salad.
Reserve remaining mixture and use as salad dressing.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut or torn into bite sized pieces.
- 1 avocado, sliced or made into a rose
- 1 small white onion, sliced thin and sauteed in a skillet until brown
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced thin and sauteed in a skillet until brown
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into small strips and crisped over medium heat in a sprayed skillet
- A sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
- Anything else your heart desires. You want bacon, just so you know. Black beans are also a stellar option. Use your creativity.
To assemble the salad, spread lettuce on one large platter or 3-4 individual plates. Start with the chicken, and add onions and peppers. Top with avocado, cheese, tortilla strips, and any other toppings you may have. Pour some of the reserved marinade/dressing over the salad(s) and serve immediately.